Gifs: The Perfect Language Learning Object
As a material for teaching language, it doesn’t get better than a gif. Here is a recent webinar presentation I gave outlining why gifs works so good as “language learning objects”. Here’s the quick bullet list.
- viral, public media that students want to consume/view
- widely available, remixable, sharable
- low cognitive load as compared to view
- highly contextualizing of the language point
- looped, repetitive (Mere Exposure effect)
- current and cultural
- load and play everywhere
- teach non-verbal communication (large part of language)
- short, clear messages
- they’re just plain fun!